How to Tell if a Samsung TV Supports Chromecast
With today’s technology, streaming just about anything from your device to your TV is possible, and in the case of a Samsung TV everything is ready to go. What’s more, you don’t need to worry about having a jumbled mess of cables around your TV.
However, many people may not know whether their Samsung TV has Chromecast built-in. Let’s find out!
Which Samsung TVs Have Chromecast?
Samsung is one of the most popular TV manufacturers today. But none of them has Chromecast built-in at the time of writing.
Be that as it may, all is not lost. If you have a Chromecast, you can always use it with your TV.
You Can Still Use Your Samsung TV with a Chromecast
The good news is that almost any TV with an HDMI port can be used with Chromecast.
That means no matter how old your TV is, if it’s got an HDMI input you can easily stream content on it. To check this, just look at the back of your TV and find where the input connectors are. Then look for a narrow port labeled HDMI. Found it? Great, then casting to your Samsung TV won’t be an issue.
However, some Samsung TVs made before 2010 may not have an HDMI port. If you want to use Chromecast without having to buy a new TV, there’s a way to do it. You’ll find out later on how to stream content on all Samsung TVs.
How to Cast to Samsung TVs with an HDMI Port
Those who have an HDMI-equipped Samsung TV can set up Chromecast in no time. When you get a Chromecast, you’ll get the device itself, a power brick, and a USB cable. To set up everything, first plug in the USB cable into the corresponding port on your Chromecast. You’ll hear a snap when it’s secured.
After that, you need to plug the Chromecast’s HDMI connecter into an HDMI input port on your Samsung TV. The other end of the USB cable (leading out of the Chromecast) can go into the USB charging port on your TV, if there is one. If not, you’d just have to use the power brick, which would have to be connected to an outlet. Both options work in the same way, it’s just a matter of preference.
When that’s all set up, take a look at the front part of your Samsung TV. You’ll see a notification to get an app. This is when you have to download the Google Home app on your phone. It’s available both for Android and iOS.
Once you have the app, you’ll need to set it up. Make sure that your phone is hooked to the right Wi-Fi. If that’s all good, here’s what you should do next:
- Open Google Home.
- Click on Get started. If you can’t see it, just tap on the profile icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Then, find New devices, and then tap Create another home.
- Wait for your Chromecast to show up. It should match the one in the bottom right corner of the TV screen.
- After that, you’ll see a code appear on your TV.
- Check whether the codes are a match. If they’re the same, tap Yes.
- Then, you can select where the Chromecast is located in your home. Make your selection and click Next.
- You can enter whatever room name you prefer. Hit Continue.
- Occasionally, it may ask you to connect to your Wi-Fi. Just select it from the list and tap Next.
You’ll now see Chromecast updating on your TV, which might take a while. While it’s updating, you’ll also see the name of your room in the bottom right corner of the screen. Once this is finished, you’ll get a notification that your Samsung TV is going to be restarted.
When your TV turns on, it’s time to reach for your phone once again. It’ll ask you to link Chromecast, so just click Next. You can now choose any service you regularly use on your device to stream on your TV. Follow the instructions and tap Continue.
On your phone, you’ll see the available streaming services and instructions on how to cast anything to your Samsung TV. Anytime you use your device and watch something on it, you’ll have to select Chromecast and the content will show up on your Samsung TV.
How to Cast to Samsung TVs Without an HDMI Port
If your TV doesn’t have an HDMI port, the steps will be a bit different. You’ll have to buy a couple of things, which you can decide whether it’s worth it. If so, this is what you should do:
- You’ll have to get an AV cable, a USB power adapter, and an HDMI to AV adapter. Some or all of them you may already have at home.
- Plug in one end of the AV cable into the designated connectors on the TV.
- The other end of the AV cable goes to the HDMI to AV adapter.
- After that, connect your Chromecast with an HDMI cable to the adapter.
- Of course, your Chromecast will have to be properly powered up, whether with the aforementioned USB power adapter or its original power supply.
Once everything is connected, follow the instructions as described in the above section, How to Cast to Samsung TV with an HDMI Port.
Stream Just About Anything
As you can see, casting functionality is available on all Samsung TVs, although it’s a bit easier and cheaper if you have a newer one. You can now enjoy streaming content from a device to your TV without having to look at a small screen.
How about you? What do you usually stream on your TV? Let us know in the comments section below.