How to Turn Off Subtitles on a Firestick
Amazon’s Fire TV Stick gives you the option to enable and disable subtitles on your smart TV. In addition, you can change the language and the appearance of the subtitles on your TV through your Fire Stick. By completing a couple of quick steps, you will be able to optimize your in-home viewing experience to the fullest.
In this guide, we will show you how to turn on and off subtitles on all your programs on Fire TV Stick. We will also address some common questions regarding Amazon’s Fire TV.
How to Turn Off Subtitles on Fire Stick?
Fire TV Stick is a transportable streaming device that can be plugged into any TV. By inserting it into a TV’s HDMI port, you gain access to a variety of channels, movies, and TV shows. Furthermore, for as long as you’re subscribed to the services, it allows you to watch Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, and other streaming services on any TV.
Among other things, you can choose if you want subtitles on your TV through the Fire TV Stick. Subtitles are similar to closed captioning (CC) in that it displays the dialogue being spoken by characters, narrators or persons on the screen. However, subtitles are embedded within the program being shown and are mainly to help viewers who might be watching a program but need to hear the dialogue in another language.
Closed captioning, meanwhile, mainly serves as a guide for the hearing impaired. It not only includes dialogue but may also include what sound effects are being heard. Also, CC is often a real-time transcription of what’s being spoken and, thus, may include misspellings.
However, if you simply prefer watching TV programs without the subtitles, or if you find them distracting, there is an easy way to turn them off on your Fire Stick. Here’s how it’s done:
- Play the video you want to watch.
- Press the button with three horizontal lines on the left side of your Fire TV remote – that’s the “Menu” button.
- Find the “Settings” option.
- Go to “Accessibility.”
- Navigate to “Closed Captions” on the list.
- Toggle the “Closed Captions” switch off.
- Go back to your video by pressing the “Home” button on your Fire TV remote.
That’s all there is to it. Now you can watch your program without the subtitles distracting you.
How to Turn On Subtitles on Smart TV?
The process of enabling subtitles on your smart TV can vary, depending on the streaming service you are subscribed to or the model of television itself. Video streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, or HBO, provide different methods of changing your subtitle preferences.
The easiest and fastest way to do it is by following the steps below:
- Open your home screen on your smart TV.
- Head over to “Settings” with your Fire TV remote.
- Go to “General.”
- Find the “Accessibility” option on the list of settings.
- Go to “Caption Settings.”
- Next to “Caption,” toggle the switch to turn subtitles on.
- Press the “Home” button to go back to your video.
Note: Most programs support subtitles on your smart TV, but in some rare cases, the option to enable subtitles will not be available.
Apart from the option to enable and disable subtitles, Fire TV Stick allows you to change the appearance of your subtitles. You can find all these features in “Caption Settings” on your smart TV:
- To change the language of the subtitles, go to “Caption Mode.” Keep in mind that not all languages are available, but that depends on the platform to which you are subscribed.
- To change the appearance of the subtitles, go to “Digital Caption Options.” Here you can play with different caption features, such as size, font, color, background, and other features.
- To change the location of the subtitles, go to “Separate Closed Caption.” Some viewers prefer to have their subtitles displayed at the top of their screen, rather than the bottom.
How to Turn Off Subtitles on Cinema App on Fire Stick?
Cinema HD is a movie streaming app that allows you to watch movies, TV shows, and loads of other programs online. If you are interested in how you can turn off subtitles on the Cinema app, follow these steps:
- Start playing your video on Fire TV.
- Find the subtitles (CC) icon on your screen. The CC icon should be white – that means that the subtitles are turned on.
- With your Fire TV remote, navigate to the subtitles icon and press on it.
- It will automatically become black, which means that you have successfully turned the subtitles off.
That’s all there is to it. Now you can resume watching your movie without the subtitles. If you change your mind, you can always turn them back on in a couple of moments.
How to Turn Netflix Subtitles Back On?
Turning the closed captions on and off is done differently on Netflix. Once you turn them off, you can easily go to settings and turn them back on. Follow the steps below to find out how it’s done:
1. Turn on the video.
2. Press “Pause.”
3. With your Fire TV remote, press the “Up” button on the directional pad.
4. Find “Audio & Subtitles” on the list of options.
5. Go to the “Subtitles” section.
6. Choose the closed captions you want (for example, “English CC”).
7. Press “OK.”
8. Press the “Home” button on your Fire TV remote.
The subtitles should be working normally at this point. In some cases, the subtitles you are looking for might not be available, but that depends on the streaming platform and the broadcasting service.
How Do You Turn On Subtitles on Amazon Fire Stick?
If you want to enable subtitles on Amazon Fire Stick, follow these steps:
1. Start playing a video of your choice.
2. Pause the video.
3. Use the Fire TV App to go to the “Menu” icon (or just press the button with three horizontal lines on your Fire TV remote).
4. Find “Subtitles & Audio” on the list of options.
5. Go to “Subtitles and Captions.”
6. Toggle the “Subtitles and Captions” switch on.
7. Choose the language in which you want to read the subtitles.
8. Once again, press the “Menu” button on your Fire TV remote to save settings.
How Do I Permanently Turn Off Subtitles?
You can’t disable the subtitles from your Fire TV Stick permanently. That’s because Fire TV is linked to other video streaming services, and each has its different method of managing subtitles and closed captioning. For that reason, you would have to turn off this feature every time you watch a new TV program or movie all over again.
However, to access more options for managing your subtitles/closed captioning settings, you can visit this page www.amazon.com/cc. By going to “Subtitle Preferences” and “Subtitle Appearance,” you have various options for altering the appearance and location of your subtitles.
How Do You Get Rid of the Subtitles?
Getting rid of subtitles can be done in a few different ways, depending on the type of video streaming service you are using. We’ve already shown you how to manage subtitles on Netflix. Here are some other streaming platforms where turning off your subtitles is possible:
Amazon Prime Video
1. Pause the video you started watching.
2. Go to the “Menu” icon.
3. Find “Subtitles” on the list of options.
4. Use the directional pad to highlight “off” or “on” in settings.
5. Select the language of your subtitles.
6. Press “Play” on your Fire TV remote.
1. Stop your video with the “Pause” button on your Fire TV remote.
2. Press the “Up” button on the directional pad.
3. Find “Subtitles & Captions.”
4. Highlight the “Off” option to get rid of subtitles.
5. Go down to “Subtitle Language” and choose the language you want.
6. To go back, press the “Down” button twice.
7. Press the “Play” button to resume the video.
1. Pause your YouTube video.
2. On your Fire TV remote, press the left button on the directional circle.
3. Highlight the “CC” icon.
4. Use the remote to press “Up” to turn on the subtitles, and “Down” to turn them off.
5. Press the “Back” button on your remote.
6. Press “Play.”
Make Your Subtitles (Dis)Appear on Fire Stick
Now you know how to enable and disable subtitles and closed captions with your Fire TV Stick on various streaming platforms. You have also learned how to change the language and appearance of subtitles on Fire TV. Now all the TV shows and movies you want to watch on Fire TV will be played following your personal preferences.
Have you ever turned off subtitles on your Fire TV Stick? Did you follow any of the methods outlined in this article? Let us know in the comments section below.