How To Use WhatsApp Without a Phone Number
WhatsApp users have to verify their number to start using the app. However, not everyone wants to share their private information with hundreds of contacts.
If you want to stay anonymous on WhatsApp, you’re probably wondering whether it’s possible to skip the verification page and register an account without your number. The short answer is no.
A phone number is necessary to use the services of this app. But it doesn’t need to be your number. Read on to learn how to use WhatsApp without revealing your phone number.
How to Use WhatsApp Without Using Your Phone Number
So, you want to make a WhatsApp account, but the thought of giving the app your phone number makes you uneasy? Or perhaps you decided to amp up your online privacy and want to remove your information from this popular chatting solution? You might find that this task is more complicated than it should be.
Since it’s impossible to register a WhatsApp account without a phone number, you’ll need to use an alternative or temporary number to complete the process. In addition, WhatsApp doesn’t let you remove or hide your number in an already existing account, so you’ll need to create a new number if you want to remove your old one.
Let’s see a few different ways of creating a WhatsApp account without your real phone number. Not all methods will work for everyone as some may not be available in all countries. If you have trouble with a solution, move on to the next one until you find the one that does the job.
Try a Landline
If your home still has a landline, you won’t lose anything by attempting to use this for the WhatsApp verification process. All you need to do is enter your landline when WhatsApp asks you for your phone number.
- Download and launch WhatsApp for iPhone or Android.
- Tap “Agree and Continue.”
- Type your landline number into the verification field and hit “Next.”
- WhatsApp will ask you if the number you entered is correct. Check the number and hit “OK.”
- The app will now attempt to send you a verification code. Since your landline won’t be able to receive it, you’ll need to wait for a while, then tap “Call Me.”
- Answer your landline and listen to the verification code.
- Enter the code on WhatsApp, tap “Next,” and you’re done.
If you don’t have a landline or WhatsApp doesn’t accept your number, the next solution you can try is using an online phone service. There are many apps and services that give you a temporary phone number to send and receive messages and calls. If you already have a favorite, feel free to use that. We’ll use TextNow as an example since it’s one of the most reliable free services in this category. It also has an app.
First, you’ll need to download TextNow and create an account. We’ll walk you through the steps below.
- Get TextNow for your iPhone or Android device.
- Launch the app and press “Sign Up.”
- Choose a signup method and follow the instructions on your screen.
- Once you have a TextNow account, press “Get My Free Number.”
- Select your desired area code at the top.
- TextNow will offer you several free number options. If you don’t like any of them, you can tap “Refresh numbers.”
- Tap the number you want to use to select it.
- Copy your new number.
With a virtual number at your disposal, you’re ready to start the WhatsApp verification process.
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android.
- Hit “Agree and Continue.”
- Enter or paste the TextNow number you just created and press “Next.”
- Wait until you can tap “Call Me” on the verification page.
- Answer the call and write down your verification code.
- Enter the code and hit “Next” to start using WhatsApp.
Note: Not all TextNow numbers may be compatible with WhatsApp. To stay on the safe side, you can test several numbers before selecting one to ensure WhatsApp will accept it. If you have an Android device, you can split your screen to see both apps simultaneously, making the process a little less tedious. Once you find a number that works with WhatsApp, select it in TextNow.
Create a Google Voice Account
Another free service that can supply you with a virtual number is Google Voice. Available to all Google users in the U.S., this is a popular solution for domestic as well as international calls. It may also come in handy when registering a WhatsApp account. Let’s see how to use Google Voice to get started with WhatsApp without your own phone number.
- Download Google Voice for iPhone or Android.
- Launch the app and log in with your Google account.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top left corner and select “Settings.”
- Go to “Google Voice number” at the top.
- Press “Search” on the next screen. Enter a location in the search bar.
- Google Voice will list available numbers here. Press “Select” on the number you want, but be aware that changing this number later isn’t free. You may want to test whether the number you’re picking will work with WhatsApp before finalizing your choice.
- Press “Accept number,” then “Next,” and give the app the appropriate permissions. Enter your phone number and press “Send Code” verify yourself using the code you receive in a text message.
- Tap “Claim,” then “Finish,” and your Google Voice number is ready to be used.
Next, you’ll use your new Google Voice number to register on WhatsApp.
- Get WhatsApp for your iPhone or Android and launch the app.
- Press “Agree and Continue.”
- Enter the Google Voice number you just claimed.
- Wait until you can press “Call Me” and then prompt WhatsApp to give you the verification code through a phone call.
- You’ll receive a call on your Google Voice number with the code.
- Enter the code in WhatsApp, hit “Next,” and you’re done.
Get an Alternative Number
If none of the above methods worked for you, the final solution that certainly will is using an alternative phone number for WhatsApp.
Do you have a secondary phone you rarely use or an old sim card that’s still active? Perfect! You can tie your WhatsApp account to this number.
Naturally, you can also purchase a new prepaid phone number for cheap to use for this purpose. Place the SIM (subscriber identity module) card in a working phone and start the registration process.
- Open WhatsApp for iPhone or Android on your primary phone and tap “Agree and Continue.”
- Enter the phone number you just inserted in your old phone.
- Tap “Next,” then “OK.”
- You’ll receive a verification code in a text message on your old phone.
- Enter this code in the appropriate field in WhatsApp.
- Tap “Next,” and your new account is ready to use.
How to Change My Number in WhatsApp
If you already have a WhatsApp account but want to remove your phone number from it, you’ll need another number to replace it. Use one of the methods above to obtain a new working phone number. Then, head to your WhatsApp settings to modify your details.
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone or Android device.
- Press the three vertical dots and go to your Settings.
- Tap “Account” and select “Change Number.”
- Enter your old and new phone numbers.
- WhatsApp will attempt to send a verification code to your new number. Depending on what kind of number you created, you might have to wait until this fails and request a call instead.
- Enter the code in WhatsApp to verify your new number.
- Your WhatsApp number is now changed.
Keep Your Phone Number Private
Whether you want to use WhatsApp on a device without a SIM card or you’re simply concerned about privacy, this guide will help you out. Use one of the abovementioned methods to create an account without your actual number and start using WhatsApp without worries. If none of the virtual numbers work for you, try an old number you no longer use or purchase a prepaid one for this purpose.
Which solution worked for you? Or do you have another service for generating a phone number to recommend? Let us know in the comments section below.