How to Delete a Venmo Account
Venmo is among the leaders in the virtual wallet industry.As such, you may have opened an account at one time but haven’t used it in a long while. When you opened the account, you submitted a ton of personal and financial information. Now you may be concerned that the open, unused account is putting you at risk for identity theft or other cyber-crimes.
Fortunately, opening a digital wallet account is not a lifetime contract. You can close your account to remove your personal information. This article will show you how to delete your Venmo account and possibly lessen your worry.
How to Delete Venmo Account on an Android
The majority of Venmo users rely on mobile devices to conduct transactions. However, you cannot delete your account through the Android mobile app. A laptop or desktop computer is needed to make this change. You must be signed in to your Venmo website in a web browser, but you can use your Android to take initial steps to prepare for your account deletion.
To begin, check your balance in the app on your device. Venmo will not close an account that has a remaining balance. Any money in your account must be withdrawn before you can close it on the Venmo website. If you do have a balance, you can use your Android device to transfer all funds from your account as follows:
- Sign in to your account from the Venmo app.
- Select the blue “You” icon (in the upper left corner).
- Tap “Add or Transfer” (under your profile picture).
- Enter the total amount of money left in your account.
- Select “Instant” (for a small fee) or “1-3 Business Days” (free).
- Choose the debit card or bank account where the money should be transferred.
- Tap “Transfer” to confirm.
It will take a few days for your withdrawal to be completed. It’s vital that you not close your account until you have confirmed it has a zero balance. When the transaction is completed, you will see the money you transferred added to your bank balance. Once you’ve confirmed the transfer, you can sign in from a web browser and follow the directions to delete your account.
How to Delete a Venmo Account on the iPhone App
Up until now, you’ve probably used your iPhone for Venmo transactions. However, as of this time, you cannot delete your account using the iPhone app. Like most financial companies, Venmo requires major changes to be made from their website for security reasons. To do so, you will need a computer to open a web browser.
However, you can prepare for your account to be deleted from the mobile app ahead of time. Venmo will only close an account with a zero balance. Following these rules, check the app to see if you have any money in your account. If so, you can use your iPhone app to withdraw the remaining balance. Here’s how:
- Login to your Venmo account from the app.
- Tap “You” (the blue silhouette with the dollar sign).
- Select the “Add or Transfer” option.
- Type in the amount to withdraw (it should be equal your total balance).
- Choose “Instant” (pay a small fee) or “1-3 Business Days” (no cost).
- Select the bank account or debit card where you want your money transferred.
- Confirm by clicking the green “Transfer” button.
Once you have depleted your account, it will take a few days for the transaction to be fully complete. Although you will receive a notification about the withdrawal from Venmo, wait until your bank has confirmed the transfer before deleting your account on the Venmo website.
How to Delete a Venmo Business Account
Perhaps you have a business account in addition to your personal Venmo profile. Venmo treats the profiles as separate accounts. If you no longer need a business account, you can close it and keep your personal profile. However, you cannot simply use the app or remove it via the Venmo website.
To delete your Venmo business account, you should contact the company in one of the following ways:
- Send an email to Venmo Business Profile Support to request the deletion of your business account.
- Initiate a request by filling out a Contact Us form on the Venmo website.
- Call Venmo at their customer service phone number.
Once you contact Venmo, their representative will walk you through the proper steps to delete your business account. You may need their direct assistance to comply with specific regulations regarding closing accounts for businesses. Before you begin the process of closing your Venmo business account, you should know the following:
- Your business profile cannot be reopened once you close it.
- Venmo may need to verify your identity for tax purposes before closing your account.
- You will not be allowed to create another business profile tied to your current personal account.
Make sure you fill out and submit any forms Venmo may require. Keep copies of all correspondence, transaction histories, and any other information related to your business account. If you still have a personal account, you can keep using it for private transactions only.
How to Delete a Bank Account From Venmo
It’s possible you have closed your existing bank account or decided to use another one for your Venmo profile. If so, you can easily remove the bank account on your Venmo profile. The steps below show you how to delete a bank account with the app and a web browser.
To delete a bank account in the Venmo app:
- Open the app on your mobile device.
- Go to the “You” tab (the blue silhouette icon).
- Select “Settings” (the gear icon).
- Choose “Bank” from the list of account settings to edit.
- Delete the bank account you want to remove.
You will be allowed to add another bank account to replace the one you deleted from the “Settings” page if you choose. Other account information such as your email and phone number may also be edited from this page using the Venmo app on your mobile device.
Steps to delete a bank account from Venmo in the web browser:
- Navigate to the Venmo website and sign in to your account.
- Go to the “Settings” page.
- Select “Bank” from the list of settings to edit.
It takes just a few steps if you need to delete a bank account from a business profile. Toggle to your business profile by tapping your picture in the top left corner and follow the steps above to delete your bank account. Additionally, you can add a new bank account or make other edits to your account from the “Settings” page.
Put Your Mind at Ease
You can take action if an abandoned Venmo or other financial account is keeping you up at night. The solution is to close your account permanently. Even if you are “between computers” right now, you can find a way to delete your Venmo account.
There are numerous ways to get access to computers and the internet. Consider borrowing a computer from a trusted friend or relative or using a computer at your office. It only takes a little effort to gain some peace of mind.
Have you closed a Venmo account you weren’t using? Let us know if you tried the steps in this article using the comments box below.