How to Install Python in VS Code
If you’ve been looking for a way to elevate your Python development experience, VS Code, or Virtual Studio Code, is your best solution. It’s a fun and creative platform to help you embrace and grow your Python skills. VS Code has powerful features that’ll help simplify your processes and enhance productivity.
In this article, you will learn how to install Python on VS Code and other basic skills like setting up workspace settings and running Python on VS Code.
How to Install Python on VS Code
You’ll need to install a Python extension from the Visual Studio Marketplace to ensure everything works well. Follow the steps below to execute this task successfully.
- Launch the VS Code application.
- Click on the “Extensions” tab.
- Type “python” on the search input located on the left side of the window.
- Select the Python extension you want to install.
- Click on the blue“Install” button to complete the Python installation.
Python 2.0 was discontinued in 2020. So, ensure that the Python you install is the third version.
How to Run Python on VS Code
Once you have installed Python and VS Code on your device, you’ll have to write a code. This will help you run the Python extension in an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Here’s how to do it:
- Launch VS Code.
- Click “File,” located at the top left side of your VS Code window.
- Select “New Text File.”
- Type in “print (‘Hello World’)” on the right side of the pane.
- Press “Ctrl + S” to save the Python file.
- Click on “Run,” located at the top left of the window.
Ensure you always type in ‘.py’ at the end of the file name when saving.
Configuring Terminal Settings
Using VS Code will help you customize your terminals on VS Code. Follow these steps to complete this process:
- Open the “Terminal” menu.
- Find the arrow down button at the top right corner of your terminal window. Click on the arrow down button.
- Choose the “Configure Terminal Settings.”
Understanding the REPL Function in VS Code
REPL is an interactive way of running commands on your Python interpreter. This will help you run multiple lines of code within a Python file. Here’s how you can use this function in Python development:
- Open your Python file.
- Type in a code in the VS Code window.
- Right-click on the code you have written.
- Scroll down the list of options and select the “Run Selection/Line” in Python Terminal.
You will find the output on the integrated terminal appearing in the REPL format. Alternatively, you can also use the Command Pallete to start REPL in VS Code:
- Open the Command Pallete.
- Find “REPL.”
- Click on “Python” to start REPL.
- Enter your commands in the interactive Python shell.
- Press the “Enter” key to execute the command.
All the Python codes you enter on VS Code will automatically have the Autopep8 applied once you enable this setting.
Python Interactive Window in VS Code
You can run a Python interactive window using Jupyter Notebooks on VS Code. Follow the steps below to execute this task:
- Go to the explorer pane on your VS Code window.
- Right-click on the Python file.
- Select the “Run Current File in Interactive Window” option under the context menu.
- Enter a name in the new interactive window to confirm whether it’s a palindrome.
- The results will be displayed in the new interactive window.
Python Development Tips in VS Code
VS Code allows you to customize Python features and extensions to help meet your needs and scale overall productivity. This section will equip you with essential tips for efficient Python development.
- If you’re new to the VS Code for Python IDE, the “Help” button in your VS Code window is a tool you should capitalize on. It will provide you with easy-to-understand tutorials on VS Code.
- Use keyboard reference sheets to memorize and modify keyboard shortcuts. This will help you access all the available commands faster, and shortcuts are quicker than the Command Pallete.
- Use the command line interface to open the VS Code editor by typing “code.”
- The shortcut “Ctrl + Shift + M” lets you quickly handle project errors and warnings. You can also press “F8” to cycle swiftly through errors.
- You can quickly revise multiple coding lines at once by using the “Alt + Click” shortcut. The shortcut “Ctrl + Shift + L” will also help you amend any occurrences within your current selection. This multi-cursor selection trick is a game changer in the Python development world.
- Employ the Git integration tool to perform all tasks related to it in VS Code. You can always sign into your Git account to quickly and easily sync your settings.
All these VS Code features will help you enjoy the Python development field more and create a smooth working experience.
Is VS Code a reliable tool for Python?
Yes. VS Code helps edit Python source codes and has reliable features that boost development.
Why is VS Code not recognizing your Python imports?
This most likely results from choosing the wrong interpreter when coding. Ensure you select and install packages correctly to avoid compatibility issues.
Is VS Code a better IDE for Python compared to PyCharm?
Yes. VS Code has a wider array of features, making customization easier and more versatile.
Advance Your Python Coding Skills With VS Code
It’s important that you have the right resources geared toward your Python development journey. VS Code is one such tool. It provides a great place to start and grow your Python development knowledge. It hosts noteworthy features that are key in helping you master Python and data science in general. You can set up your VS Code to match your preferred workflow to enhance productivity.
So, what are your thoughts on integrating Python with VS Code? Are there any upgrades you would like to see on VS Code to help enhance your Python development environment? Let us know in the comments section below.