How To Block Websites in Windows 10
There are many good reasons to block a specific website. If you’re working from home, browsing some pages might interfere with your productivity. You might be a parent trying to protect your kids from explicit content, or maybe you want to ensure they don’t visit websites that might spread viruses.
If you’re a Windows 10 user, there is more than one way to block websites on your device. Sometimes adjusting the browser settings is enough.
However, you can also customize your computer to block specific websites. It’s essential to know all your options, so we’ll discuss all the ways you can block websites while using a Windows 10 PC.
Block Websites on a Windows 10 PC With the Hosts File
One of the most efficient ways to ensure a website will be blocked regardless of which browser you’re using is to modify the host file.
By doing so, you can override DNS and redirect URLs and IPs to different locations. The process is pretty straightforward, and the steps are as follows:
- Click on the Start menu and select “Windows Accessories.”
- Right-click on Notepad, select “More” followed by “Run as administrator.”
- When the Notepad opens, select “File” from the toolbar and “Open” from the drop-down menu.
- Go the “C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc” location.
- Make sure to select the “All files” option for the files to appear. Then open the “host” file.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the last line. Make sure to create space.
- Enter the URL you want to block.
- Go to File and select “Save.”
For this to work, you must have permission to access the host file. Also, make sure to restart your computer to ensure the website is blocked.
How to Block Websites on Windows 10 Defender Firewall
Windows 10 has proven to be very efficient for filtering and blocking harmful applications from damaging computers. It’s also a great tool to rely on when using public networks.
But did you know that you can improve the Windows 10 Defender Firewall by blocking specific websites?
If the firewall permits access to questionable sites, you can set it up so no one in your home, school, or work opens it either. Here’s how it works:
- Launch the Control Panel on your computer.
- Select “Windows Defender Firewall” followed by “Advanced Settings” on the left-side pane.
- Right-click on “Outbound Rules” from the menu on the left and select “New Rule.”
- When a new window pops up, select the “Custom” option followed by “Next.”
- On the next window, select “All programs” and again select “Next.”
- Select the ” These IP addresses ” option under “Which remote IP addresses does this rule apply to?”
- Click on “Add” and enter the IP addresses you want to block. Then select “Next.”
- Make sure to choose the “Block the connection” option and click on “Next.”
- Choose whether the rule applies to Domain, Private, or Public. You can also select all three.
- Select “Next,” add a name or description for this rule, and select “Finish” to complete the action.
The IP addresses you blocked won’t be available via any browser.
How to Find the IP Address of a Website
To successfully use Windows Defender Firewall to block websites, you must have accurate IP addresses. For example, let’s say you want to block Facebook on your computer to avoid getting distracted while working. Before setting up a new rule via Defender, locate the IP by following these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt Administrator by entering “CMD” into the search box.
- Enter “
nslookup www.facebook.com” and press the Enter button.
- You will see two IPs listed, IPv4 and IPv6. You will need to copy both when entering the information into the Windows Defender settings.
How to Block Websites in Chrome on a Windows 10 PC
If you manage an enterprise and have Google admin account privileges, you are in a position to block specific websites. If the organization members use Chrome, they won’t have access to the websites you’ve blocked. Here’s how to block websites on Chrome as an admin:
- Sign in to the Google Workspace as the admin account.
- On the Home page, click on “Devices” followed by “Chrome” and then “Settings.”
- From there, select “Users & browsers.”
- Choose an organizational unit to block websites.
- Select “URL Blocking” and enter the addresses you want to block. You can add up to 1,000 websites.
- Select “Save.”
If you want to block websites on your personal computer on Chrome, you must choose the correct extension.
- Go to Chrome Web Store.
- Enter “
BlockSite” or search for other options under the “Productivity” section in the search box.
- Click on “Add to Chrome” followed by “Add extension.”
How to Block Websites in Firefox on a Windows 10 PC
Many Windows users prefer to browse the web with Firefox. You can filter unwanted content by restricting access to specific websites.
To do so, you’ll need to use one of the designated Firefox add-ons. You can download and set up the extension in a few minutes. Here’s how:
- Launch Firefox on your Windows 10 computer.
- Go to the official add-on website for Mozilla Firefox.
- Search for “Block Site” or browse for extensions under the “Privacy & Security” category.
- Select the add-on and click “+Add to Firefox.”
- When a permissions window pops up, click on “Add” followed by “Okay, I got it.”
Once the extension is added to your browser, you can use it to block unwanted domains, schedule website blocking, and even choose custom messages on blocked pages.
How to Block Website in Edge on a Windows 10 PC
Microsoft Edge is a native browser for Windows 10 and doesn’t have built-in website blocking features.
Like other browsers, users will have to find an effective extension to block access to specific websites. Fortunately, safe browsing is only a few clicks away. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Microsoft Edge on your Windows 10 computer.
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Extensions.”
- Select the “Get extensions for Microsoft Edge” button.
- Search for “Block Site” or browse under the “Productivity” section.
- When you make a choice, click on “Get” next to the extension.
- When a pop-up window appears, select “Add extension.”
After the installation is finished, go to the website you want to block and click on the “Block Site” icon on the browser’s toolbar.
Remember to make sure to confirm the action.
From that moment on, when you go to that website, you’ll see the extension’s logo and the message that the website is blocked.
Block Adult Websites Windows 10
If you’re a parent or a caretaker concerned about the content your children have access to online, there is a way to minimize this issue.
To start, you need to change your Microsoft account settings and create a designated profile for the child. Then, you can tap into the filter feature that blocks adult websites. It’s not a complicated setup. Here are all the steps:
- Go to the Microsoft Family Safety page and log into your account.
- Click on the “Add a family member” option.
- Enter the child’s email address. Make sure it’s an Outlook or Hotmail account.
- If your child already has an account, click on the “Content filters” section.
- Select the “Web and search” tab and turn on the “Filter inappropriate website” switch.
Microsoft refers to this as the “SafeSearch” feature, and it blocks all adult content when it’s on. Furthermore, when this filter is on, it will block the use of all other browsers except Microsoft Edge.
Browsing Safely on Your Windows 10 Computer
We still don’t have a single built-in button that turns on the website blocking feature in Windows 10. Until that becomes possible, users have to use various methods to block a website they want to avoid or don’t find safe.
Organizations have a few more options, but every approach has its limitations. You can block websites via host file, Windows Defender Firewall, or download block website extension on your browsers.
Regarding content filtration for kids, you can address the issue through Family Safety on your Microsoft account. That will ensure the adult websites are blocked, and you can also block certain apps and even enforce time restrictions.
What is your preferred method of blocking websites on your Windows 10? Let us know in the comments section below.