How to Create AI Art With Midjourney
Although the concept of AI art has been around for nearly 50 years, recently, it has become a buzzword in the online world. Today, by using tools like Midjourney, anyone can create unique pieces of art – including you.
Are you curious about how to use the Midjourney bot to generate AI art? Read on for a beginner’s tutorial.
What Is Midjourney and How Does It Work?
Midjourney is an independent AI art generator that turns text-based prompts into images. All you need to do is enter a few words, and the tool will provide you with an original image using AI and machine learning.
Midjourney differs from other AI art generators because it’s open for public use. Anyone with a Discord account can join the Midjourney beta server and get started for free. Once you’re satisfied with what the bot returns, you can upscale the image and download it or send it to yourself. You can also browse a gallery of other users’ images on the Midjourney website.
Create AI Art With Midjourney
Creating AI art using Midjourney only takes a few minutes in total. Check out the process below.
Join the Midjourney Server on Discord
As mentioned, Midjourney is open to anyone with a Discord account. The first step to creating your AI art is thus heading to Discord and registering for an account. Once your account is ready, follow the steps below to join Midjourney’s beta server.
- Make sure you’re logged into your Discord account.
- Open Midjourney’s website and click on the “Join the beta” button or access their invite directly by clicking on this link.
- Press “Accept Invite” to join the server.
Read the Rules
Once in the server, you’re only a prompt away from your AI-generated image. However, there are a few things to note before getting started.
First, the tool offers up to 25 queries for free. Once you’ve used up your chances, you can choose from various subscription plans if you want to continue using the generator.
In addition, the server naturally has a few rules every user must follow. You’ll find the community guidelines, as well as the terms of service, in the “rules” channel in the sidebar. Take a few moments to read it, as violating the guidelines will result in a ban.
Enter a Bot Channel and Create Your First Piece of Art
Once you’re ready to get started, you can join a bot channel for new users. Follow these steps.
- While in the Midjourney server, select a “Newbies” channel from the sidebar.
- Type “/” into the message bar. The app will suggest you a list of commands.
- Select “/imagine,” and a prompt field will appear.
- Type your prompt and hit enter to submit your request.
The bot will take a minute to generate four images based on your prompt. At first, you might only see blobs of colors as your request is being processed, but the images will slowly get clearer.
Tweak Your Image
Once the four images are ready, you can upscale the image of your choice or generate further variations of one of the options using the buttons underneath.
Use the upscale buttons to give further detail to one of the images.
- Find the first row of buttons under the image grid.
- Click on “U1,” “U2,” “U3,” or “U4,” depending on which image you want to upscale.
- Once the image is ready, you’re basically done. However, if you’re unsatisfied with the result, a new set of buttons underneath gives you further options.
Alternatively, you can use the variations buttons to see more versions of one of the images in the grid.
- Find the second row of buttons under the grid.
- Press “V1,” “V2,” “V3,” or “V4,” depending on which image you want the bot to use.
- The bot will provide you with four new images. Follow the steps above to upscale the image you like.
Note: Remember that not only the “/imagine” prompt but upscaling, and variations also use up some of the 25 free chances you get when you join Midjourney.
Save Your Creation
When you’re satisfied with the result, it’s time to save the image.
To save the file to your PC, follow these steps:
- Click on the image to open the preview.
- Press “Open original” underneath to access the full-size image.
- Right-click the image and select “Save image as…”
You can also obtain a copy of the image by sending it to yourself on Discord. Here’s how to do it:
- Find the bot message containing your finished image.
- Click the emoji button to react to the message.
- Select the envelope emoji.
You’ll find the image in your Discord inbox.
What Will You Come Up With Next?
With over 2 million members, Midjourney’s beta channel is teeming with activity. You can also join in the fun and create AI-generated art pieces with a few prompts for free to check out the hype. Follow the steps above to get started.
Have you tried Midjourney’s AI art generator yet? How was your experience using this innovative tool? Let us know in the comments section below.