How to Enable Reddit Dark Mode
Are you a night owl who browses Reddit when everybody else is fast asleep? If so, you’re probably used to the shiny, white background of the screen hurting your eyes. While the day mode is a smart option during the day, it increases eye strain, making it difficult to read at night.
For all those Redditors out there, we’ve got fantastic news! This platform has introduced dark mode, specially designed for those who prefer to use it at night. If you’re interested in learning how to enable it, you’ve come to the right place.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Reddit
If you often post and read Reddit threads at night, you know how the traditional, white background can be distracting. It also works your eyes harder, increasing eye strain. Fortunately, you don’t have to deal with this anymore. Reddit has created dark mode for people like you. Here’s how to enable it:
- Open your favorite browser.
- Launch Reddit.
- Click on the downward-pointing arrow in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Toggle the “Night mode” button.
That’s it! You’ve now successfully turned on the dark mode. The great characteristic of this feature is that once you enable it, the mode will stay the same until you change it. That said, you don’t have to toggle the “Night mode” button every night. From now on, enjoy the retina-friendly background.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Reddit on Safari
Is Safari your preferred web browser? If that’s the case, we also assume you open Reddit through it. In that event, you should know that turning on the Reddit dark mode is as easy as it can be:
- Launch Safari on your computer.
- Head over to Reddit.
- Click on the profile icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Enable the “Dark mode” option.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Reddit on Chrome
Chrome is one of the most-used browsers worldwide. If you’ve been its loyal fan and open all websites through it, then enabling the Reddit dark mode won’t be difficult:
- Launch Chrome and the Reddit website.
- Head over to the avatar in the upper-right part of the screen.
- Look for “Dark mode” and toggle the button to enable this option.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Reddit on Microsoft Edge
If your favorite browser is Microsoft Edge, there’s no need to use an alternative when browsing Reddit. Moreover, turning on the dark mode is straightforward:
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Head over to Reddit.
- Click on the downward-pointing arrow in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Turn on the “Dark mode” option.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Reddit on Firefox
Those who use Firefox and want to enable the dark mode on Reddit need to follow these steps:
- Open Firefox.
- Go to Reddit.
- Tap on the avatar at the top-left of the screen.
- Scroll to “Dark mode.”
- Toggle it to enable the dark mode setting.
How to Enable Reddit Dark Mode on iPhone
Are you guilty of scrolling through Reddit on your iPhone every night before sleeping? You’ve probably heard that staring at the screen for around one hour before sleeping can affect your sleep. But if you don’t want to change this habit, there’s something you can do to ensure the exposure to light doesn’t mess with your sleep cycle. You can now turn on the dark mode on Reddit on your iPhone, too:
- Grab your iPhone.
- Open the Reddit app.
- Tap on the profile photo in the top-left part of the screen.
- There will be a moon icon next to “Settings.” Click on it.
How to Enable Reddit Dark Mode on Android
If you prefer Android as your operating system and want to find out how to enable the Reddit dark mode that everybody is raving about, follow the steps below:
- Open the Reddit app on your Android phone.
- Click on the avatar in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- At the bottom of the menu, look for “Settings.” You’ll see the moon icon next to it.
- Click on this icon to enable dark mode.
How to Turn Reddit to Night Mode
Does the white Reddit background bother you when you want to read something at night? Don’t worry, you aren’t alone. Many other Redditor nighthawks struggle with the same issue. Luckily, it’s easily solved. All you’ve got to do is enable the new dark mode feature. The steps will vary whether you browse Reddit on your computer or phone.
If you use Reddit on your computer, the process will be the same no matter which browser you opened:
- Launch your favorite browser.
- Go to Reddit.
- Click on the profile icon at the top-right of the screen.
- Find the “Dark mode” option.
- Toggle the button to enable this feature.
However, if you usually scroll through Reddit on your smartphone, here’s what you’ll do:
- Open the Reddit app on your phone.
- Click on the profile icon at the top-left of the screen.
- Search for the “Settings” tab.
- You’ll see the moon icon on its right. Tap on it to turn on the dark mode.
How to Enable Dark Mode on Old Reddit
Many Reddit users can enable the dark mode option. But for some, this function may still not be live. If that’s the case with you, don’t worry. There’s still a way to turn on the dark mode. Namely, you’ll need to install some extensions. If you use Chrome, Mozilla, Opera, or Microsoft Edge, here’s what you’ll do:
- Head over to Reddit Enhancement Suite.
- Download the extension for your browser.
- Open Reddit.
- While in Reddit, tap on the extension to open it.
- You’ll see the RES menu. Tap on “Search Settings.”
- Type “Dark mode.”
- Click on the “Night mode” option.
- Toggle the “Night Mode On” to enable the function.
- Finally, click “save” in the top-right corner of the screen.
Alternatively, you could check the extension that serves Safari too, and provides dark mode on various websites:
- Go to Dark Reader.
- Download the extension for your browser.
- When prompted, confirm you want to add an extension.
- Once it’s downloaded, tap on the extension.
- Toggle the button “On” to enable the dark mode.
Remember that doing so will turn on the dark mode for all websites, not only Reddit.
Is there anything we haven’t answered? If so, look for the answers in the section below.
1. How Do I Enable Native Night Mode?
Most browsers already have extensions or in-built features for enabling the night-mode option. In this section, we’ll explore how to activate it on Safari, Chrome, and Mozilla.
It’s worth noting that the Safari night mode doesn’t work for all websites, only blogs or articles.
• Launch Safari.
• Open the website where you want to enable the night mode.
• Click on the Reader tab.
• Select “Aa” on its right.
• Choose the dark mode.
If you use Chrome and want to enable the native night mode, here’s what you’ll do:
• Go to Google Chrome Store.
• Make sure “Extensions” is selected.
• Search for “Dark mode.”
• You’ll see various extensions. Select the one you like and add it to Chrome.
For Mozilla users, enabling the night mode will go like this:
• Launch Mozilla.
• Click on the three horizontal lines in the upper-right corner of the screen.
• Head over to” Customize.”
• Look for “Themes” at the bottom of the screen.
• Select “Dark.”
2. How Do I Enable Dark Mode on the Reddit App?
If you use a Reddit app on an iPhone, Android smartphone, or an iPad, here’s how you’ll enable dark mode:
• Open the app on your device.
• Click on the avatar in the top-left of the screen.
• Tap on the moon icon at the bottom of the menu.
The night mode is enabled, and it’ll stay turned on until the user decides to turn it off.
3. Why Can’t I Enable Dark Mode on Reddit?
One of the most common reasons some users can’t enable the dark mode on Reddit is because they’ve accidentally enabled automatic mode on their app. Here’s how to fix this:
• Launch the app on your device.
• Click on the avatar in the upper-left corner of the screen.
• Scroll to “Settings.”
• Under “Dark Mode,” locate “Automatic.”
• Toggle the button.
You should now be able to turn on the dark mode.
Why Should You Enable the Dark Mode on Reddit?
The dark mode function is a fantastic option for those who prefer to browse Reddit at night. It lessens the eye strain and doesn’t affect your sleep as much as the white background. Whether you use Reddit on your computer or a phone, enabling it is straightforward.
Moreover, you can turn on the night mode on your browser or use extensions so that all websites your browse have the black background. Have you tried this function yet? How do you find it? Share your experience in the comments section below.