How to Insert a Signature Line in Microsoft Word
Inserting your signature in a Microsoft Word document is a great way to make it look professional and official. It also makes sending out numerous signed documents easier as you will not have to annotate each one individually. You could also choose to insert a signature line to the document that will then be inscribed by hand once the file has been printed. If you are looking for some help with Microsoft Word, this article will walk you through the various methods you can use to add a signature line to your document.
How to Insert a Signature Line in Microsoft Word on a Windows PC
While you can add signature lines to Word documents on Windows and Mac PCs, the process will vary slightly. Here are the different methods you can use to annotate Word documents on Windows.
Insert a Handwritten Signature
If you prefer to use your handwritten signature, you can use this method to sign your Word documents. Bear in mind that you will require a scanner for this technique.
- Apply your signature to a blank page.
- Scan the page and store it as a PNG, JPG, BMP, or GIF file.
- Open the scanned image on File Explorer on your desktop.
- Crop the picture by tapping the crop tool in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- Hit “Save” to store this new image.
- Go to your Word document and press the “Insert” tab on the toolbar.
- Click “Pictures,” then select a method to insert the signature image to the document.
- Move the image to the proper position in the document and resize it to fit the text.
Your signature has now been added to your Word document. If you don’t have a scanner, you can take a picture of your signature using your phone and email it to yourself. You can then download it to the computer and proceed with inserting it into your document.
Insert a Reusable Signature
This method of adding a signature line to your Word document allows you to also include relevant information like your title, phone number, and email. Check out how to insert a reusable signature on Word.
- Scan an image of your signature onto your computer and crop it to suit your needs.
- Type in the text you would like to appear under the image of your signature.
- Navigate to the “Insert” tab in the toolbar at the top of the page.
- Select “Quick Parts” located next to the “Text Box.”
- Hit “Save Selection to Quick Parts Gallery” and fill in the “Create New Building Block” dialogue box that appears.
- Type in “AutoText” in the “Gallery” slot of the dialogue box, then tap “OK” once you’re done filling in the other categories.
- When you want to apply the signature, place your cursor on the document.
- Head to “Insert,” “Quick Parts,” then “AutoText,” and pick the signature you created.
Your reusable signature will now be added to your Word document.
Insert a Signature Line
You can add a signature line to your document, which would allow for a handwritten signature to be inscribed onto the printed document. This is how to do that in Word.
- Open the document and tap where you would like the signature line to appear.
- Head to the “Insert” tab in the toolbar and tap “Signature Line.”
- Pick “Microsoft Office Signature Line” from the dropdown menu that appears.
- Type in a name or title in the “Suggested Signer” slot in the dialogue box.
- Press “OK” for the signature line to appear on the document.
The suggested signer can now affix their handwritten signature to the printed document.
Insert a Signature Line Using a Third-Party
If you’re looking for a more comprehensive solution for inserting a Signature Line, the intelligent E-sign a PDF with a font or your signature is best for a Microsoft Word file. A third-party website like TinyWow is one of the most remarkable online tools that you can easily manage your signatures. Here are the simple steps on how to navigate the website.
- Go to TinyWow.com to convert your word document to a PDF for you to insert a signature.
- At the top of your screen, look for a “PDF” tab; next, click “To PDF” then “Word to PDF”, upload and open your word document then complete the process.
- Now go back to the “PDF” tab menu. From the dropdown, click the “eSign PDF.”
- Find the document you just converted to a PDF file by clicking the “Upload from PC or Mobile” button and “Open.”
- Click on the file where you want to add a signature and choose “Sign with a mouse.”
- Sign in the rectangular box and “Save,” then scroll to the bottom of the page and click “OK.” Download and save your file to google drive.
- Lastly, you may now convert it back from a PDF file to Word. There! You are now successfully added a signature to your Microsoft Word.
How to Insert a Signature Line in Microsoft Word on a Mac PC
While it’s possible to add signature lines to Microsoft Word documents on Mac and Windows, the process of doing so will vary depending on the platform. These are the various methods you can use to affix a signature to a Word document on a Mac PC.
Insert a Handwritten Signature
If you prefer to use a handwritten signature for a signed document, this method is for you. However, you will need a scanner to use this technique. Check out how to add a handwritten signature to your Word document on a Mac device.
- Sign a blank piece of paper and scan it to your computer.
- Save the image as a JPG, PNG, BMP, or GIF file.
- Tap the “Insert” tab in the toolbar, then click “Pictures.”
- In the dropdown menu, hit “Picture from File” and search for the image of your signature.
- Press “Insert” to add it to the document.
- Click on the image and tap “Crop” to modify the picture to your liking.
- Right-click on the signature and tap “Save as Picture” to affix it to your Word document.
You have successfully added a signature to your Word document.
Insert a Reusable Signature
This method allows you to add a signature line to a Word document to include information such as your email address and phone number. Here’s how to add text to a reusable signature in Microsoft Word on a Mac.
- Upload the image of your signature to your computer.
- Type in your desired text under the signature image.
- Select the picture and the text and tap “Insert” in the toolbar.
- Press “AutoText” then “New” in the menu displayed.
- In the “Create New AutoText” box that opens, fill in your signature and hit “OK.”
- When you are ready to use the signature, go to your document and place the cursor where you want the signature to go.
- Navigate to the “Insert” tab and click “AutoText” then “AutoText” again when prompted.
- Tap on the signature block you created to insert it into your Word document.
You have now added a reusable signature to your Word file.
Signed and Delivered
Electronic signatures have made it easier for businesses and individuals to deliver legally-binding signed documents. They do away with the hassle of printing out, signing, and physically getting the document to the recipient. With an electronic signature, you can accomplish this task in minutes using your PC or Mac. This guide walks you through quickly adding signature lines to your Word documents.
Have you inserted a signature line in your Microsoft Word document? What method did you use? Let us know in the comments below.