How to Open Street View on the Google Maps App
Google Maps has undoubtedly made our lives easier. Whether you prefer visual or audio instructions, Google Maps helps you find your way around, even if you’re in a city for the first time.
Street View lets you do even more. Why not get a close-up and see what a place really looks like before you visit? Of course, you can explore different cities just for fun, but this feature can be pretty convenient in many situations. Here’s how to open it with Google Maps.
Street View on Google Maps
Accessing the Street View on Google Maps is quite a simple task. Here’s how to activate it if you have an Android tablet or smartphone:
- Launch the Google Maps app on your mobile device. It’s available both on smartphones and tablets.
- Towards the upper right corner of the screen, there’s a rhomboid-shaped icon. Tap it to see different map views to choose from.
- The last option is named Street View. Tap the option to enable it on your map.
- You’ll see blue lines designating all the streets on the map. Find the one you want to see in the street view and tap it.
- You’ll now see what the street looks like in real life.
- To exit the Street view, go back or exit the app. The next time you open it, it will be back on default settings.
Can I Use Street View on iOS?
Although many resources claim it’s not possible to use Street View on iOS devices, according to the official Google Support website, you can access this feature if you have an iPhone or iPad. Here’s how:
- Open Google Maps on your iOS device.
- Find the desired place or tap any location on the map and hold to drop the pin. You can also tap a place marker to select a location.
- At the bottom, you’ll see the name or address of the selected place.
- Scroll to find a photo named Street View. You can also tap the thumbnail to see the Street View.
- Tap Back when you’re done with exploring this feature.
If you don’t want just to see a photo, but to explore more using Street View, you can drag your finger or look around by tapping the compass. Swiping left or right also works, as well as up and down. If you want to zoom in or out, pinch open or closed on the screen.
Can I Use Street View on My Computer?
Yes! This feature is also available on PCs. Here’s how to use it:
- Open your browser and go to Google Maps.
- Click on the Pegman in the lower right corner.
- Drag him to the place you want to see in Street View.
- Release the click to drop Pegman onto a particular place on the map.
Another way is to search for a specific place or address and click on it. You’ll see a Street View icon on a photo on the left, so click to see a bigger picture.
What Else Can I See on Google Maps?
There are other superb options that will enable you to get around the city faster.
- If you’re going to use public transport, you may want to use Google Maps to check a bus route or the bus stop name.
- If you want to know how long it will take to get to a place, select the Traffic icon to see if there are jams on the route you need to take.
- Are you keen on cycling? You can check out the Cycling feature while planning your next route. However, this feature might not be available in your region.
- The Satellite view will enable a more lifelike view of the city, and it’s similar to the Street View.
- If you’re planning to go on foot or visit a place for the first time, you can check what the terrain looks like by tapping on the Terrain icon.
- If you’d like to go more in-depth, choose the 3D feature. The flat surfaces on your screen will now appear with shadows for a 3D effect.
Street View for More Accuracy
If you’re a visual type, you’ll love this feature. Whether you use the navigation or not, you might remember what a place looks like and find it more quickly, even if you’re visiting for the first time. Not to mention how much fun you can have exploring places you may not have the time or resources to visit any time soon.
Will you use Street View for fun or practical reasons? Let us know in the comments section below.