How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting
Microsoft Teams has become one of the leading platforms for meetings, especially after the start of the pandemic. School and university classes and many business meetings are being held on this platform.
With this vast transfer of information, recording an online meeting is convenient and gives you the option to playback and catch things you might have missed. This is something that wouldn’t be possible with in-person classes and meetings.
In this article, we will take you through the steps to record a Microsoft Teams meeting on different devices.
How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting on a PC
Using a PC for Microsoft Teams is can be more convenient for some people since you can follow the meeting from a bigger screen. It is also easier to type in the chat, and you don’t need to hold or position your camera on something. It is also possible to record the Microsoft Teams meeting.
However, that isn’t to say that everyone in the room can start a recording. Meeting recordings must first be allowed by your IT administrator. Another thing to keep in mind is that guest users are unable to record meetings. Microsoft does impose a few more limitations as well.
Meeting organizers and members of the same organization can generally start and stop recording. But this does not rule out the possibility of recordings being made available to participants that aren’t attending the meeting. Microsoft began to keep Teams recordings in OneDrive and SharePoint at the beginning of 2021, making it simple to retrieve and share your recordings.
Furthermore, once a meeting recording has begun, only one participant can do the recording. The recording will resume even if the participant who initiated it leaves the meeting, and it will end after everyone has left. Lastly, if anybody stays in the session after it has finished, the recording will stop after four hours automatically.
To start a recording, follow these steps:
- Upon starting or joining a meeting, click on the three horizontal dots at the top of the window.
- Select “Start recording.”
- A notification will pop up on everyone’s screen that the recording has started.
Keep in mind that by starting a recording, you’re also beginning a live transcription.
To stop the recording, the steps are:
- Select “More actions” by clicking on the three horizontal dots.
- Click on “Stop recording” to stop the recording entirely. You can click on “Stop transcription” to halt the transcription feature, but you still have to click “Stop recording” to end recording.
If it is a channel meeting, the recording is processed and stored to SharePoint; any other session is saved to OneDrive.
How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting on an iPhone
Using a phone for a Microsoft Teams meeting is convenient since it gives you more mobility. You don’t have to sit at a desk and PC to follow the discussion. However, you still have the same options as using a PC, including recording the meeting. Follow these steps to record a Microsoft Teams meeting from an iPhone:
- To begin recording, go to the meeting controls, select More options (Three horizontal dots), and then “Start recording.”
- The beginning of the recording will be announced to everyone in the room.
- To stop the recording, go to the meeting controls and pick More options (three horizontal dots) and tap on “Stop recording.”
- The recording will be processed and stored to Microsoft Stream before being made available for playback.
How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting on an Android Device
Recording a Microsoft Teams Meeting on an Android is pretty straightforward and similar to recording on an iPhone. Follow these steps:
- Select More options (three horizontal dots) and then “Start recording” from the meeting controls.
- Everyone in the room will be informed of the start of the recording.
- Go to the meeting controls and choose More options (three horizontal dots), then “Stop recording.”
- Before being made accessible for playback, the recording will be processed and saved to Microsoft Stream.
How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting as a Guest
Since guests do not have an option to use the built-in recorder to record a meeting, the only way to record is to use a third-party app. Before doing so, check with the meeting organizer whether it’s permitted to record the meeting as a guest.
You can either download a recorder or use an online one.
Vidmore Screen Recorder is a popular video recorder. All cloud meeting services, including Microsoft Teams, are supported. It can record your meetings in high-definition without informing other participants.
To record a meeting, the steps are:
- Download and install Vidmore Screen Recorder.
- Open the Microsoft Teams app and switch to the meeting recorder.
- Turn on “DISPLAY,” select “Custom,” and choose region/window.
- Select the Microsoft Teams app to set the recording region.
- Turn on “System Sound.”
- Click on “REC” to start recording.
- Select the “Stop” button whenever you want to end a Microsoft Teams meeting recording.
- A preview window will appear. If you are happy with the meeting recording, use the built-in media player to play it back and click the “Save” option. The clip tool can be used to edit the recording.
You can even set up a schedule for the recording to start and stop automatically.
If you don’t want to download a program, you can use an online tool. Vidmore Free Online Screen Recorder is an online version of the already mentioned app. To use it for recording a Microsoft Teams meeting, the steps are:
- Open your browser and go to the Vidmore Free Online Screen Recorder website.
- Click on “Launch Free Recorder” to download the launcher.
- Select the Display icon and adjust the recording area size.
- Turn on “System sound.”
- Click “REC” to begin the recording.
- Select “Stop” once the meeting has finished. The video will be saved to your hard drive.
How to Record Microsoft Teams Meeting Without Notification Using OBS
Microsoft Teams can’t detect screen-capture programs, including OBS, meaning that you can record a meeting without other members receiving a notification. To do so, follow these steps:
- Download and install OBS.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Select the window to capture and the audio source.
- Press “Start recording” in the Controls menu.
- Click “Stop recording” when you want to stop the recording.
You can find the recording on your hard drive.
Meetings That Stay With You
The most significant advantage of online meetings is that you can relive the discussion or class whenever you want, but be careful with whom you share the meetings. Some organizations do not want their meetings to be shared with a bigger audience, especially if sensitive information is allowed. This is also applicable to classes, with most schools and universities restricting sharing classes or even prohibiting recording classes completely.
It’s is best always to check the organizer’s regulations to avoid any potential trouble.
Do you record your Microsoft Teams Meetings? Which method do you use? Let us know in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.