How to Search Within a Specific Website
Thanks to faster internet connections and the ease of constructing a website, you can find a wealth of information on almost any subject on the World Wide Web in a matter of seconds. Most search engines are equipped with advanced browsing tools that guarantee you’ll find what you’re looking for quickly.
But what happens if you just want to search a single domain? In this article, we’ll show you how to search a specific website on different browsers by using keywords and “site:search” operators.
How to Search Within a Specific Website?
All search engines support the “site:search” command. You can use both individual words and entire phrases to look for specific information. Of course, the feature works best with relevant, detailed keywords. Here’s how to search within a specific website:
- Open your browser. The command works on all popular search engines, including (but not limited to) Google, Bing, Yahoo, and DuckDuckGo.
- Navigate to the search bar and click on it. Type “site:” before the domain. Remember not to have space in between the words.
- Type the search term in the form of keywords and phrases. Try adding as much information as you can. For example, use dates and locations.
- Use the “
filetype:search” command to look for formats (e.g., PDF).
- To find an URL containing a specific term, use the “
- Click “Enter” to view search results.
site:search” operator functions the same for all browsers. An even quicker way to search a specific website is by using the CTRL + F (Command + F) keyboard shortcut. However, that only works once you’ve opened the web page.
Why You May Need to Search a Site for a Specific Word?
There are many reasons why you may need to search a site for a specific word. Here’s a list of the more common situations:
- Information updates: Let’s say you changed your business email. You can search the website for your old address to make sure it’s no longer included.
- Rebranding: It’s quicker to change the name or the tag line of your product this way.
- Copyright infringement: If you think another business is abusing your intellectual property, you can search their website.
- Internal links: When you want to link a new blog post, you can find the anchor by searching the website.
- Search efficiency: If you have a time limit, you can find any information by searching for relevant keywords.
- References: This can refer to statistics, scientific research, and any other form of data used as a source.
How Do I Search an Entire Website for Keywords?
If you have a specific word in mind, you can search the website with a keyboard shortcut. Here’s how:
1. Open your browser and visit the website.
2. Hold down CTRL + F (or Command + F for Mac users).
3. Type in the keyword in the small search bar at the top of the screen.
You can then navigate the website by clicking on the small arrows on the search bar. The keyword will be highlighted with a vibrant color throughout the entire text.
However, for more advanced searches, it’s better to use an extension. For example, if you want to know what keywords are most used on a particular website, you’d conduct an advanced search with an extension. Here’s a list of tools you can download for free:
How Do I Search a Website Using Bing?
Although not as popular as some other browsers, Bing supports a decent number of advanced search features, the site search operator being one of them. Here’s how to search a website using Bing:
1. Click on the Bing icon on your desktop.
2. Navigate to the search bar. Type the “
site:command” and the website URL.
3. Click “Enter.”
Apart from using general keywords and phrases, Bing also enables you to search by file type. Here’s how:
1. Open Bing.
2. Click on the search bar. Type in the “
filetype:command”, followed by the particular format.
3. Click “Enter” to view search results.
How Do I Search Multiple Websites at the Same Time?
To search multiple websites, you need to add an extension to your browser. Here’s a list of add-ons you can get from the Chrome Web Store:
After adding the extension, click on the little icon next to the address bar to search multiple sites.
Another way is to create a custom search bar that can simultaneously search multiple websites. Here’s how to do it:
1. Go to programmablesearchengine.google.com.
2. Click on the “New Search Engine” tab.
3. Under “Sites to Search,” type in the URLs of the websites you want to search.
4. Fill in the information and click “Create.”
5. After successfully creating a search engine, click on the “Public URL” tab.
6. Type in the keyword or phrase and click on the search button.
The number of websites you can search isn’t limited. Also, a Programmable Search Engine allows you to keep adding new ones as needed.
How Do You Get Websites on Search Engines?
Regardless of your chosen browser, the steps to access a particular website are almost identical. Here’s how to get websites in search engines:
1. Open your chosen browser.
2. Navigate to the address bar. It’s usually located at the top of the page.
3. Click on it and type in the website URL.
4. Press “Enter” or the search button. Depending on the browser, the search buttons can read “Find,” “Search Now,” or “Go.”
5. Usually, after typing in the first few letters, a list of suggestions appears. Select the specific website, and it will lead you directly to the home page.
How to Use Google to Search With a Specific Website?
Google is one of the most popular search engines in the world. It has a wide range of advanced search features that make for a smooth browsing experience. Here’s how to use Google to search with a specific website:
1. Open your browser and go to www.google.com.
2. Move your cursor to the search bar in the middle of the page. Click on it.
3. Type “site:” in the dialog box.
4. Without hitting space, type in the name of the specific website. You don’t have to include the origin (www) in the URL. For example, type “
site:twitter.com” to search within Twitter, instead of “
5. Hit space and type in the term you’re looking for within the website. It can be a word or an entire phrase.
6. Click on the “Google Search” button under the dialog box. You can also press “Enter” to initiate the search.
If Google Chrome is your chosen browser, the steps are slightly different.
Here’s how to search with a specific website on Chrome:
1. Double-click on the Chrome icon on your desktop.
2. Move your cursor to the address bar at the top of the screen. Highlight the text and hit backspace to clear it.
3. Type in the URL of the website you want to search. Click “Enter.”
4. Click on the three vertical dots in the top-right corner. Select “More,” then “Find” from the options menu.
5. A new search bar will appear in the top-right corner of the page. Type in your search term or phrase and click “Enter.”
6. Scroll through the website to locate search results. The matched words or phrases will be highlighted in yellow.
You can use the same method on both iOS and Android devices, respectively. Here’s how:
1. Tap on the Chrome icon to open the app.
2. Go to a specific website.
3. Tap on the three vertical dots in the far-right corner. Select “Find in Page” from the drop-down menu.
4. Type in the search term or phrase and tap the “Search” button.
5. Scroll down and find the highlighted search results.
Can I Search a Website for a Particular Word?
Not only can you search a website for a particular word, but you can also do it in three different ways. The quickest one is to use a keyboard shortcut. Here’s how:
1. Open your chosen browser.
2. Type in the website address.
3. Press CTRL + F for Windows and Command + F for Mac.
4. A small dialog box will appear at the top of the page. Type in the word you’re looking for.
5. Click on the little downward arrow to navigate the search results. The particular word will be highlighted. You can also see the number of times it appears within the text.
You can also use the site search command to find a particular word. Just type the specific term in quotation marks after the website URL.
Finally, most websites have a built-in search bar specifically for this purpose. Here’s how to do it:
1. Move your cursor to the search bar. It’s usually located at the top of the page next to a small magnifying glass icon.
2. Click on it and type in the search word.
3. Click “Enter” to view the search results.
How to Add a Google Search Bar to Your Website?
The Programmable Search Engine allows you to improve the navigation on your website. You can use it to customize a search engine with many advanced features such as autocomplete. It’s a great way to make your website more user-friendly.
Here’s how to add a Google search bar to your website:
1. Open your browser and go to programmablesearchengine.google.com. Click to “Get Started.”
2. Click on the “New Search Engine” button.
3. Fill in the information. Next to “Sites to Search,” type in the URL. Select the language and type in the website’s name.
4. Once you’re finished, click “Create.” To get your search engine code, click on the “Get Code” button.
The Programmable Search Engine allows you to come back later and readjust the settings. For example, you can include more websites and rename the search engine at any time.
Like a Fine-Tooth Comb
You can comb through most browsers using the “site: command” feature. The more specific you get, the better the search results.
If you’re looking for a particular word, it’s best to use the CTRL + F keyboard shortcut. There’s also the option to search multiple websites by using a browser extension simultaneously.
What’s your go-to search engine? Do you tend to use keywords while browsing? Comment below and tell us if there’s another way to search within a specific website.