How to Turn Off Narrator in Windows
Narrator is an app that will easily read everything on your screen. With this app, you can navigate through your computer without using your mouse. This is a built-in app in Windows 10 that is extremely helpful to the blind or vision impaired. However, if you don’t want to use it, it can be annoying. Keep reading this article, and we’ll show you how to turn off Narrator and introduce you to different options available in this amazing program.
How to Disable Narrator in Windows 10
You can turn off Narrator in different ways or disable it forever. In this guide, you’ll find a step-by-step guide for whatever options you choose.
Use the Shortcut Key Combination
A simple combination of keys will turn off Narrator. If you press “Ctrl + Windows logo key + Enter,” Narrator will be automatically turned off. If you wish to turn it back on, repeat the same key combination and the Narrator dialog box will appear and start automatically. You can turn it off again by tapping “Turn off Narrator,” or you can press “Ok” and continue using it.
There is another key combination that you can use to turn off Narrator:
- Tap “Ctrl + Windows logo key + N.”
- This will open Narrator settings. You can switch the toggle button to turn off Narrator.
Exit the Narrator Window
If you’d like, you can exit the Narrator by closing the window:
- Go to the Narrator window.
- Tap “Exit Narrator.”
- Or press “X” at the top-right corner.
Exit the Narrator From Taskbar
- Find the Narrator icon in your taskbar.
- Right-click on the icon.
- Tap “Turn off Narrator.”
Use Windows Settings
You can also turn off Narrator through Windows Settings:
- Open the Start menu.
- Tap “Settings.”
- Tap “Ease of Access.”
- Tap “Narrator.”
- Use switch the toggle button to turn off Narrator.
Use the Task Manager
If you want to use the Task Manager to turn off Narrator, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu.
- Start typing “Task Manager” and open it.
- Find “Screen reader” under “Background tasks.”
- Right-click on it and tap “End task.”
How do I make sure Narrator is disabled forever?
If you’ve set up Narrator to turn on automatically every time you start your computer, you’ll have to go Narrator settings to disable this option.
1. Open the Start menu.
2. Tap “Settings.”
3. Tap “Ease of access.”
4. Tap “Narrator.”
5. Under “Start-up options,” look for “Start Narrator after sign-in for me” and/or “Start Narrator after sign-in for everyone.”
6. Uncheck the checkbox for “Start Narrator after sign-in for me” if you wish to disable it only for your account, or unmark it for “Start Narrator after sign-in for everyone” if you want to disable it on your computer completely.
Sooner Rather Than Later With Narrator
Narrator is a great free tool for anyone to read everything on the screen quickly. With the help of numerous shortcuts and options, you can easily scroll through a text, webpage, or app. You can even customize it according to your liking. If you’ve been looking for a top-notch screen-reading app, we hope this guide helped.
Have you ever used a screen-reading app? Tell us in the comment section below.