How To Change to Landscape in Canva
While Canva is a fantastic design tool with many useful features, it comes with a few shortcomings. Mainly, the option to change the page orientation to either Landscape or Portrait isn’t currently available. Instead, Canva has a wide selection of templates that automatically adjust the dimensions to accommodate different platforms.
However, there’s a way to work around this limitation. You can try manually resizing the page and setting the width and height to Landscape dimensions. Additionally, you can resize individual elements within the design to fit the new orientation. In this tutorial, we’ll explain how to create custom Landscape dimensions for your Canva projects with step-by-step instructions.
The only downside is you’ll need to upgrade to a paid subscription to unlock it. However, there’s a 30-day free trial available if you’re interested in giving it a go.
If you have a Canva Pro or Enterprise subscription, you’ll be able to use the feature with all your devices. The app interface is identical for both the web and mobile versions. In the following section, you’ll find step-by-step instructions on how to resize a Canva page.
Rotating a Page in Canva to Landscape on a PC
You can’t actually rotate a page in Canva, as we’ve already established. However, you can manually change the width and height to achieve a horizontal or vertical orientation. The only pre-requisite is to upgrade to a paid subscription. You can choose from two different plans: Canva Enterprise or Canva Pro. Additionally, Canva for Education and Canva for Nonprofits also come with the feature.
Once you sign up for a free trial, you’ll unlock the “Resize” feature. Much like other Canva tools, it’s incredibly streamlined. Here’s how to use it:
- Open the Canva app and sign in to your account.
- Scroll to the “Your Designs” section and select the one you want to resize. Then, of course, you can create a new design by clicking on the purple button in the top-right corner next to your profile pic.
- If you’re a Canva Pro or Enterprise user, you’ll see the “Resize” feature in the top-left corner of the screen. Click on it to access the menu.
- A drop-down panel will appear. Check the box next to the width and height of the page.
- Next, click on the tiny downward arrow to access a drop-down list of measurement units. You can choose between pixels, inches, millimeters, or centimeters.
- Set the preferred dimensions. For Landscape mode, you want the width to be larger than the height. For example, if the height is 8 inches, make the width at least 11.
- Once you’re done, click the “Resize” button at the bottom-left corner of the panel.
- If you want your current design to be intact, click the “Copy and Resize” button at the bottom-right corner. That way, you’ll have created a new copy of the design in Landscape mode.
Since there’s a mobile version of Canva available, you can use the feature on the go. The UI is identical for Android and iOS devices, so the following steps are valid in both cases:
- Launch the Canva mobile app and sign in to your account.
- At the bottom of the homepage, click on the “Designs” tab. Next, pick a design you want to resize.
- If you want to create a new design, select a template from the widget at the top of the screen.
- Once you’ve opened your design, tap on the three horizontal dots at the top-right corner.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Scroll down and tap “Resize.”
- A new panel will open. Set the dimensions to fit Landscape mode.
- Once you’re done, tap “Resize” or “Copy and Resize” if you want to save a separate version in Landscape mode.
Change Your Orientation With Canva
Although Canva doesn’t have a custom feature for changing the page orientation, there’s a nifty workaround. By applying the “Resize” tool, you can adjust the width and length of the page to custom dimensions. As a result, you can set it to a horizontal orientation or Landscape mode by increasing the width.
Unfortunately, only Canva Pro and Canva Enterprise users have access to the helpful feature. On the plus side, there’s a 30-day free trial for both if you’re interested. Moreover, Canva has an impressive library of high-quality free templates you can use instead. The templates are specifically designed for optimal results, ensuring the graphics are always crispy clear.
What’s your experience with Canva? Is there another design tool you prefer? Let us know in the comments below if there’s a way to change the page orientation without upgrading to a paid subscription.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.