How To Take Pictures With BeReal
Praised as the future of social media, BeReal has quickly become one of the most popular mobile apps. It features a simple interface and encourages users to post candid, unfiltered snaps. However, since it lacks the editing features of other apps like Snapchat and Instagram, some users may wonder how to take pictures with BeReal.
We’ll walk you through the process and help you learn how to snap stunning filter-free photos in the app, regardless of whether you have an iPhone or Android device.
Without further ado, let’s dive in.
How to Take Pictures in the BeReal App
The BeReal app is compatible with both iPhones and Android smartphones, so you can take pictures on either mobile device.
How to Take Pictures in the BeReal App on an iPhone
After downloading the app and setting up a BeReal account, taking pictures only requires a few clicks. You’ll receive a notification it’s time to post your daily BeReal. The app’s typical posting time is between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m.
Here’s what you need to do to snap photos in the app:
- When you receive the BeReal notification, tap it to launch the app.
- If prompted, enable the app to access your device’s front and back cameras.
- Hold the device in the desired position and press the round camera button at the bottom of the screen.
And that it’s! Note that the app first snaps a picture using the back camera and snaps a selfie of the user a few seconds later. It then merges both images into one BeReal post, placing your selfie in the left corner of the back-camera picture. Make sure to stay still so that both images are clear and sharp.
After taking a picture in the app, you can save the post to your local storage. Just tap the small “Download” button in the left corner of the image.
Another thing you should remember about the app is that it has a two-minute limit. You have two minutes to get the perfect shot when you start taking pictures. BeReal leaves no time for posing or retouching, which is a stark contrast to other social media apps. After using BeReal a few times, you’ll quickly learn how to capture great photos in under two minutes.
If you’re satisfied with your BeReal photo, you have two options. You can share it with your friends or make it public on the Discovery page.
The following instructions will help you share your BeReal post with your friends.
- After taking photos in the app. Choose the “My Friends Only” option under the “Send To” tab.
- Select “Send” at the bottom of the app.
Follow these steps to make your BeReal post public.
- Find the “Send To” tab and select “Everyone (Discovery).”
- Tap “Send” at the bottom of the interface.
Keep in mind that when you select this option, the app will also share your geolocation.
How to Take Pictures in the BeReal App on an Android Device
If you’ve downloaded the BeReal app on your Android smartphone, you can take pictures after you receive the notification urging you to make a BeReal post. Here’s what you need to do:
- Press the app notification to open the app.
- If necessary, grant the app access to your smartphone’s front and back camera.
- When you find the best angle, press the round camera button in the bottom center of the screen.
The app first snaps a picture through the back camera, then captures the user’s selfie a few seconds later with the front camera. It then combines the two images into a single post, resizing the selfie and placing it in the corner of the back camera photo.
Remember that the app allows you to take pictures within a two-minute interval. If you’re used to Instagram or Snapchat, this may seem insufficient. However, as the app’s name suggests, BeReal wants users to be real and post unedited photos. While BeReal gives users a narrow timeframe, you can still retake pictures in the app to get the perfect shot. Additionally, you can save your BeReal creation to your local storage by tapping the “Download” icon in the lower left of the picture.
If you’re happy with your photo, you can share it with your friends.
- Press the blue arrow underneath your image.
- Select “My Friends Only” under “Send To.”
- Hit the “Send” button at the bottom of the app.
You can also make your BeReal image public and share it with other users on the Discovery page.
- Tap the arrow-shaped icon beneath your BeReal picture.
- Navigate to the “Send To” section and choose the “Everyone (Discovery)” option.
- Click “Send” at the lower end of the interface.
How to Retake a Picture in BeReal
Although BeReal only gives users two minutes to take photos, you can retake the picture if you’re dissatisfied with the results.
If you’ve downloaded BeReal on your iPhone, here’s how you can retake photos in the app:
- Press the “X” button in the top right of the screen to delete the current picture.
- After the app reactivates your camera, tap the round button at the bottom of the app to take a new photo.
Android users shouldn’t have much difficulty retaking pictures in the app.
- Tap “X” in the upper right of the interface to delete the image you don’t like.
- Wait a few seconds for the app to access your camera.
- Click on the round button at the lower end of the screen to snap a new image.
So long as you remain within the two-minute limit, you can retake your photos as many times as you like. However, after you upload the post to BeReal, the app will alert your friends about how many retakes you’ve had. This rule only applies to users with over 10 friends. If you’re only connected to nine people through the app, you’re in the clear.
Those who want to hide their retake count could try clearing the app’s cache since this method has helped other users get around this rule.
Can I use a photo from my camera roll?
Unlike other social media apps, BeReal doesn’t allow users to access their camera rolls. This restriction means you can’t upload previously taken photos to the app. You can only post images you’ve taken through the BeReal app. This aligns with the app’s mission to encourage users to be more authentic about their life online and post candid photos.
Can I post more than one photo?
BeReal users can upload only one daily post. Instead of allowing users to post countless photos whenever they want, BeReal has implemented a daily limit of one image. When it’s time for your daily upload, the app sends you a notification, urging you to take your snap. Still, you have some leeway with upload times.
Master the Ins and Outs of Taking Pictures With BeReal
When you first download the app, taking pictures with BeReal may seem complicated. It’s still relatively new, and you may need some time to get used to its minimalistic approach to curating social media. But so long as you pay attention to the app’s notification system, you should have no problem capturing unfiltered snaps of your life and sharing them with your friends.
Remember that you can’t post photos from your camera roll, and other users can see whether you’ve uploaded an image after the app’s intended posting interval.
Have you downloaded BeReal yet? Which features do you like the best? Let us know in the comments section below.